Ryan Ziegler earned his law degree from the University of Manitoba in 2019. During law school, Mr. Ziegler was a supervisor at the University of Manitoba Community Law Centre (Legal Aid Manitoba) where he assumed conduct of a large volume of cases for summary conviction offences under the Criminal Code, the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, and a variety of quasi-criminal statutes. As a student, Mr. Ziegler ran dozens of sentencing hearings, and numerous trials and pre-trial motions in Manitoba Provincial Court. As well, he worked on several projects related to privacy rights, immigration, and bail, and was a panellist at an internationally-hosted conference on institutions of justice.
Through the lawyers at McKay Criminal Defence LLP, Mr. Ziegler intends to develop and refine his in-court and written advocacy skills, as well as gain invaluable exposure to complex criminal and Charter cases.
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- A.J. Christie Prize for highest standing in Advocacy (2018)
- The Honourable Archie S. Dewar Award for Advocacy for demonstrated excellence in the Faculty of Law’s advocacy program (2019)
- Celine Dolaster Criminal Justice Scholarship (2019) [External]
- Manitoba Law Journal Prize for an article demonstrating excellence in scholarly legal research and writing to be deemed worthy of publication by a committee composed of a teaching member of the Faculty of Law, a Manitoba lawyer and a judge of the Manitoba Court of Queen’s Bench (2019)
- Finalist in the Robson Hall Negotiation Competition (2018)
- Finalist in the Solomon Greenberg Criminal Trial Moot Competition (2018)
- Panellist at the Centre for Interdisciplinary Justice Studies' Conference "Accessing Justice" (2018)
Ryan Ziegler, "The Constitutional Elephant in the Room: Section 8 Charter Issues with The Animal Care Act of Manitoba". 2019. Manitoba Law Journal. Accepted and forthcoming.